Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The 5 songs of V-day

Since I dont do those STUUUUPID 'memes' I thought I'd do something similar, but different, for V-day to commemorate my love.

Here are 5 songs that have influenced me positively in my most recent relationship, in chronological order of experience, most recent first, with a phrase/stanza, and explanation along with it to highlight why I included it and/or remember it.

The first two are from the last week or so, solely from my point of view.

The third one is a fond memory, not necessarily (at all) a romantic song, but a very fond memory, nonetheless. I think it kind of has a sentimental value to my view of the relationship.

The fourth and fifth are songs that came from quite a while ago, but aren't outside the range of my memory, both very memorable events in their own rights.

I Believe in Love - Indigo Girls

"I want to say that underneath it all you are my friend
And the way that I fell for you I'll never fall that way again
I still believe despite our differences that what we have's enough
And I believe in you and I believe in love"

The heartfelt meaning of this phrase (and the way she sang it) when I heard it this morning on my XM radio just made me thank these two women for expressing what I could not find the words for.

Rocking Chair - Gwen McRae

"Sexy baby, good lovin' daddy
Ooh, let me be your rockin' chair
Just-a rock me way from here
Let's get it on, come to me baby
Ooh, let me be your rockin' chair
Just-a rock me way from here

Let your arms, shelter me from all hurt and pain
Mmm, light my heart, with your everlasting flame

Rock me gently, make me feel like a cloud in the sky, mmm
Whisper softly, let my heart take wing and fly"

When I heard this last week on my XM radio (I should be getting some ad money for this...) it made me long for that feeling back, not necessarily the primal urge itself, but for the passion about the one you love.

Good Enough - Sarah McLachlan

Yeah, pretty much the whole song, as explained below.

This is a song that I had come across a while back when I was feeling like I had done something wrong to her, and sent it to her as the best kind of apology I could find. It became a capitulation of guilt and blame from both sides, a beautiful moment I remember very well. I never expected it to happen the way it did, which made it all the better.

I'll Make Love to You - Boyz II Men

...aww hell the whole song, and if you can't figure out why, I have some great farm land in Arizona for you to buy...

It also helps that we sang this to each other one night, after her goading me for who-knows-how-long...stupid boy, just do it.

Naughty Girl - Beyonce' Knowles

...once again...farm land in Arizona?...It's really good!...plenty of good soil...

I remember an occasion or two that she sang this for me back when it first was hitting high rotation on the radio. Very good times.


Aside: Being alone on St. Valentine's Day sucks. These thoughts and memories will help me get by, I hope.

***Now you all get to do the same...I'm expecting to see them soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home