Monday, January 23, 2006

Just when you think...

You'd better think again. I swear this woman never stops. I can't believe that she is doing it all yet again. Here, I'll fill you in on the details that have me so frustrated with my workplace, and why transit war sounds so appealing from where I sit.

First of all, we work by bids, we have a bidding process we go through and bid by seniority on bids as arranged by this evil creature that sits in the dispatcher chair for 8 hours every morning.

Recently, we went through this agonizing and demoralizing process (I'm not exaggerating at all). During this process the bids with the 10 or so "red X" on the top of them were subject to complete change, because we are currently short of drivers.

Everything is hunky-dory, well as least as much as could be expected during this process, until it comes to me, where I try to work out some form of compromise about what the "red X" bids constitute and mean. I took a full day to try what I could to change something so that it was better for everyone, where everyone else is forced to bid within 20 or so minutes, maybe an hour max. In any case, I wish to be 'flexible' for the company and be available every waking moment so that I can maintain my healthy debt load and my school responsibilities as well. I fully recognize that this is somewhat of a personal request, and I'm just trying to improve the process, for better or worse for everyone involved, not just those that the she-monster deems so.

In any case, I bid on a "red X" bid, and then the two remaining normal bids are taken and then the she-monster changes the rules mid-stream. I mean this is like changing the rules of a game because you don't like it or think it's fair for you. Anyhow, all those that take the remaining "red X" bids get their bids changed from the normal 35-40 hr bids to accept any leftover bids from those that wish not to bid because of their schedules. We are talking 8 or 9 bids between 6 or so people. So roughly 320 man hours between 6 people. This averages out to be at least 50 hrs a week, because the she-monster deems it so, not because they have seniority or anything resembling such qualifications.

I mean you have a system based on one thing: seniority. WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU DO IT BY FAVORITISM BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU CAN JUSTIFY IT BY SAYING WE ARE SHORT OF DRIVERS?

Transit war is quietly and slowly beginning to be waged in every minute of every day recently because this place is such a hole based on nothing better than the old boys' system. Don't get me wrong, I worked it when I was new because I could, I knew how, because I grew up seeing it, learning it day by day from the small hick town that I grew up in. I just can't understand the level of stupidity that people think that they can get away with because nobody wants to complain because they are either too old in the system or they are too new and desperate for cash-money.

I think the thing that quite simply irritates me the most is that everyone is willing to complain and bitch about it all, fully recognizing each and every problem with this company, but not motivated or ambitious enough to change anything for the better. Even my good friend, of whom I will not give away the name of for the sake of anonymity, with whom I speak of this nearly every night, becomes more and more "system-atized" each passing week as time entrenches itself firmly into itself, signifying that it is only a matter of time before even the mention of transit war will be a tired and old subject.

Transit War:
Born: Summer 2005
Faded: Winter 2005/2006
R.I.P.
May you always be remembered with fervor and humor.

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 8:30:00 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Aw, not to worry Drew, some of us were so enamored by the idea of Transit War that little bits of mayhem still seep out of us when we are least expecting it.

 
At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 11:11:00 AM, Blogger Wolfman said...

Think of me as a deep cover operative; I might look like I've gone native, but I'll get it right in the end. Long Live Transit War!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home